[PD] open recent

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Tue Dec 4 23:08:28 CET 2007

Martin Peach schrieb:

>> From: Thomas Grill <gr at grrrr.org>
>> To: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
>> CC: pd-list at iem.at
>> Subject: Re: [PD] open recent
>> Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:25:26 +0100

>> > That is an old, known bug. I saw this Miller's TODO.  If you got this
>> > working, and submitted a patch, I think he would be likely to
>> accept it.
>> >
>> I'm also very curious about a solution for this, which is non-trivial on
>> Windows. I failed to do it with DDE (because old-fashioned DDE doesn't
>> seem to be really working with current Windows versions) and using the
>> "find running PD process" method requires sending an "open patcher"
>> inquiry to the TCL/TK part of the already-running PD which is beyond my
>> TCL/TK capabilities (not to mention interest).
>
> There's EnumProcesses in the PSAPI.
> ( http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682629.aspx )
> A newly started instance of pd could use it to determine that it
> wasn't the only pd running and quit. How would it pass the patch to
> the other pd?
> There must be a registry setting for this kind of thing, since, for
> example, Photoshop doesn't open a new instance whenever you
> double-click one of its documents.
It's easy to find out whether a PD is already running, but the running
PD must have a possibility to receive a inter-process message from the
second PD and load the patch.
I spent some time on that a few months ago, and if i remember correctly
the show-stopper for me was that i found out that i'd have to patch the
TK part to get this running. And then, it wasn't that important to
really try hard.

gr~~~