[PD] deleting from active message trees WAS Re: Pd + asterisk?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 5 01:38:41 CET 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 11:42 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Now that I think about it, it would also work to have each call open
>> an instance of a patch within one constantly running Pd process.
>> Then when the call is dropped, that patch instance would close.  For
>> this to work well, we'd need to add the ability for a patch to close
>> itself programmatically (currently, when a patch sends menuclose to
>> itself, Pd crashes :( )
>
> Yes, that would certainly be the ideal way to do it.  In fact,
> instead of
> messing around with multiple Pd processes, I would much rather just
> help solve
> whatever the problem is that causes this not to work.
>
> Are there any existing bug reports or any previous discussions
> about the problem?

The discussion on this bug talks about the issue, which also happens
when you send a "clear" message to a patch from within that patch.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1518030&group_id=55736&atid=478070

I agree with sistisette on this discussion, but it's not a cut and
dry issue, as you can probably see :).  For me, unless someone
demonstrates the harm in adding the possibility for deleting a chunk
of a tree that is executing (I mean besides the crash ;), then I
think it should be possible, especially since it would mean that
patches could close themselves, which is a very useful thing.

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli