[PD] segmented patchcords (was Re: PD & MAX)

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 22:34:59 CET 2007

I am trying to subsume what I read so far.

A - READABILITY:
readability means that when you look at a patch, you understand its
logic and dataflow. readability is important for programmers, when
looking at their own patches, but also when looking at other peoples
patches. readability is a quality assurance for well written code.
it is closely related to documentation and saves time during coding.
how do segmented patchcords affect readability?

pro: "makes patches more readable"
con: "makes patches less readable"

so what exactly makes a patch less readable?
1) lines on top of objects: bad
2) overlapping cords from various inlets to various outlets: bad
3) overlap cords to save screen real estate: good
4) segmented patchcords make you lazy and the general layout of your
patch will suffer. (is that really true?): if yes, then bad
    _____
   /     \
[0]     |
  |      |
[+ 1]   |
  |      |
[t i i] |
  |   \__/

B - USEABILITY
denotes the ease with which people can employ a particular tool.
in some cases the user is a programmer, but I am talking about
useability of the patch itself, for example during performance or
maintanece (exhibitions, installations...)
good user interface is flexible to deal with all kinds of users that may
use the program, maybe it allows adoption to certain needs, in general
it hides unrelevant information and leads the user to a smooth
interaction with the program.
how do segmented patchcords affect useability?

if you decide to use cords at all in the UI, then you want to give the
user an overall feeling of what parts of the user interface belong
together and how the general workflow goes. every additional feature to
emphasize that is a plus here. so if you want to do that with colors,
then colored cords are a plus, if you want to do that with thickness,
then this is a plus, if you want to do it with segmented patchcords,
then the availability of them is a plus.

pro: segmented patchcords are a useful feature.

C - GENERAL DESIGN ISSUES:
this is about graphical style and interface style. about taste and good
looking.

pro: "looks better"

1) diagonal lines: look messy (if you are against uniformism that might
be a plus, but then, nature is never uniform... not even with segmented
patchcords)

one guideline I hold to in my work is "the user is always right"
I think the advantage of segmented patchcords is bigger than the
downsides(A2,A4?). This does not solve the problem of how to implement them.
feel free to add to this pro/con list...
marius.