[PD] Moveable Type - powered by Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 6 06:18:42 CET 2007

It is running PDa 0.4 for sound and custom python to control the text:

http://gige.xdv.org/pda/

it uses these boards:

http://www.embeddedarm.com/epc/ts7250-spec-h.html

It uses this distro of linux:

http://www.embeddedarm.com/linux/main.htm

We are currently writing a paper about it for a conference, which we
hope will be published.  It will cover the whole thing in more
technical detail.

.hc

On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:59 PM, palmieri, ricardo wrote:

> hi hans.
>
> this screens is  a comercial product, or a special project?
> do u have more info about it?
>
> ah
> is alex posada in the earstudio moveable type album?
>
> hasta.
>
> palmieri
>
> 2007/12/5, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>>
>> In case anyone is interested, there is now a newspaper article with a
>> video about this piece:
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/arts/design/25vide.html
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Nov 16, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>>> If any of you happens to be in New York City, drop by the lobby of
>>> the new New York Times building.  It's open to the public, and
>>> there is a great installation there.  The sound is all powered by
>>> Pd and the text handling and sequencing was done with Python.
>>>
>>> http://earstudio.com/projects/moveable_type.html
>>>
>>> Moveable Type
>>> Mark Hansen and Ben Rubin
>>> (in progress, to be completed in fall, 2007)
>>>
>>> "Moveable Type, by New York artist Ben Rubin and U.C.L.A. associate
>>> professor Mark Hansen, is an artwork commissioned for the ground-
>>> floor lobby of The New York Times Building in New York City. When
>>> complete, it will be a dynamic portrait of The Times. Statistical
>>> methods and natural-language processing algorithms will be used to
>>> parse the daily output of the paper (news, features, editorials)
>>> and the archives, as well as the activity of visitors to
>>> NYTimes.com (browsing, searching, commenting). The resulting
>>> refracted view of The Times will be displayed on 560 vacuum-
>>> fluorescent display screens installed in the lobby."
>>>
>>> I'll post more on this when I get it, like video would be nice...
>>>
>>> .hc

>>> --
>>> ------
>>>
>>>                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!

>> ---
>> ----
>>
>> 'You people have such restrictive dress for women,' she said,
>> hobbling away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out
>> another pink-collar temp pool day.  - "Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf

> --
> ricardo palmieri
> # 1185833173
> [palm.estudiolivre.org]
> [skype:palmieriricardo]
> [jabber: ricardopalmieri at xemele.cultura.gov.br]
> [msn: ricardopalmieri at bol.com.br]
> [linux user # 392484]

----

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith