[PD] segmented patchcords (was Re: PD & MAX)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Dec 6 08:21:11 CET 2007

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> >I think the key point to take from the whole discussion is that Max/MSP
> >users have a choice, whilst under Pd we have no choice. It's all very
> >well justifying how great it is to not have patch chords, but the lack
> >of that feature/bug definately annoys some [potential] users and puts
> >them off Pd. If the people want it, why not give it to them?
>
> Because it's easier to write a condescending justification for the lack of
> segmented patchcords than to write the code for segmented patchcords.

That's exactly the point: From this thread it seems that many of those
people who would be able to implement segmented patchcords aren't
interested in that feature. (You'd be one of the exceptions.) So until
someone comes along who wants seg-cords in Pd and at the same time
could write the code, the feature stays missing. That's not unusual
wiht open source software: features, the developers need, get
implemented faster, others maybe never.

Ciao