[PD] segmented patchcords (was Re: PD & MAX)

Olivier Heinry olivier.heinry at manga-burgah.net
Thu Dec 6 12:32:03 CET 2007

Le jeudi 06 décembre 2007 à 08:21 +0100, Frank Barknecht a écrit :
> Hallo,
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:
> >
> > >I think the key point to take from the whole discussion is that Max/MSP
> > >users have a choice, whilst under Pd we have no choice. It's all very
> > >well justifying how great it is to not have patch chords, but the lack
> > >of that feature/bug definately annoys some [potential] users and puts
> > >them off Pd. If the people want it, why not give it to them?
> >
> > Because it's easier to write a condescending justification for the lack of
> > segmented patchcords than to write the code for segmented patchcords.
>
> That's exactly the point: From this thread it seems that many of those
> people who would be able to implement segmented patchcords aren't
> interested in that feature. (You'd be one of the exceptions.) So until
> someone comes along who wants seg-cords in Pd and at the same time
> could write the code, the feature stays missing. That's not unusual
> wiht open source software: features, the developers need, get
> implemented faster, others maybe never.

I am a PRO seg-cords as well although I dont miss it since [s/r
$0-dingsbums] made my life easier.

Moreover, the code has already been desired and written, "just" not been
implemented in vanilla.

Seg-cords + colored box/inlets + pdmtl +pdpedia give the opportunity to
really expand the Pd user community, not only the Pd developers side.
It took me a while to abandon (definetely I hope, unless the European
Community cant resist the lobbying and forbids FLOSS)  both traditional
sequencers such as Logic (thanks to Pd) and OSes such as OSX (thanks to
GNU/Linux), which i did mostly under political reasons (Fight the
power :-). Still it would be great that people get _attracted_ to Pd for
both its vast possibilities AND usability (including documentation),
both low and high level programming prospects.

Cheers!
OH