[PD] segmented patchcords (was Re: PD & MAX)

Daniel Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:54:50 CET 2007

Now there's an idea!  If some donations could be had to offer up bounty
money, I'd say
a few more of us would be inclined to pitch in.  Also, has pd been in the
Goggle Summer of Code?
... I'm unfamiliar with the dev setup but have there been any "coding camps"
where people get
together to just implement something, just do it for like a weekend?  It is
always nice to tackle a problem
with someone to bounce ideas off of in person.  Couchsurfing.com, an online
lend-your-couch travel
networking collective, has a week long code session every 6 months I
believe. Of course the participants get
a free place to stay, etc but I don't see how something like that couldn't
be sponsored for pd.

Personally, I'd like to jump into some pd dev but I am no so sure where to
start where it would be most effective (other then segmented patch cords
:P).

>>i read your mail as a pledge for a bounty system - is that right?

>>Am 06.12.2007 um 20:08 schrieb Kyle Klipowicz:

> And this is precisely the unfortunate reason why the open source world
> will (almost) always lag behind the commercial world of consumer
> software. When developers make their bread and butter based upon if
> the consumer buys, they're more likely to pay attention to and
> implement the wishes of their users. Take Ableton. They actively parse
> their online forums for feature requests...and then implement them
> when a critical mass is reached.
>
> There are some exceptions in the FOSS world. Ubuntu is quite user
> friendly (with the support of a large endowment from a very wealthy
> organization with a charter specifically devoted to bringing Linux to
> the non-programmer set of the world). Firefox is giving IE a run for
> it's money (although the primary codebase from FF comes from the old
> commercial, closed source Netscape).
>
> I know that Hans' statement re everyone becoming a developer is true
> in theory, but in reality people who want to rapidly prototype a
> project with something like Pd or Max are using these applications
> precisely because they do not want to code in C.
>
> After reading Marius' post re GEM vs. Jitter, it is painfully apparent
> that the capitalist/consumer model of software engineering has a few
> aspects to it that are difficult for the FOSS community to compete
> with. Namely monetary and human resources and the external pressure to
> meet the requests of the user in order to ensure a continuous flow of
> financial support. When you code for a hobby or yourself, it is
> difficult or even impossible to be bothered with these things, and
> rightly so. Without compensation, there's often little scope (or time)
> outside one's own projects for developers in the FOSS world. This is
> unfortunate, but as I see it, true.
>
> Question is, what can be done to change this or compete? Or should Pd
> just become the thing that hobbyist programmers use, while Max takes
> the stage as the "serious" tool for rapidly prototyping interactive
> A/V artworks? I hope that this is not the case...
>
> No flames meant in this mail, just compassionate thought-mulling.
>
> ~Kyle
>

> On Dec 6, 2007 1:21 AM, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
>
>> That's exactly the point: From this thread it seems that many of
>> those
>> people who would be able to implement segmented patchcords aren't
>> interested in that feature. (You'd be one of the exceptions.) So
>> until
>> someone comes along who wants seg-cords in Pd and at the same time
>> could write the code, the feature stays missing. That's not unusual
>> wiht open source software: features, the developers need, get
>> implemented faster, others maybe never.
>
> --
> -----

to manage your subscription (including un-subscription) see

Dan Wilcox
danomatika
www.robotcowboy.com