[PD] [tabread~~] (again)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Dec 7 08:51:33 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 08:00 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > i wanted to play with [tabread~~] and checked out a fresh zexy and
> > compiled and it went fine. when instantiating [tabread~~], i get an
> > error though:
>
> this is a bug in Pd's hexloader that has been fixed in the latest and
> greatest 0.41-test release.
> altenatively you could use the hexloader to load tabread4~~.

works. thank you a lot.

> otoh, the recommended way (by upstream developers) of using zexy is
> still as a library instead of single externals....

yeah, works as well. i trapped myself, because i just switched a few
days ago from zexy.pd_linux to singleobjectclass.pd_linux. i haven't
thought about issues with filenames and i am surprised that bla~~ is a
problem and bla~ isn't.

however, it causes me a bit head scraping to hear that the library is
the recommended format. is there a particular reason for this (i mean,
since hexloader is working)?
the reason, why i switched was to be aware of and avoid possible
problems of my patches with pd-extended beforehand. since it is probably
the quasi standard now, i would like my patches to work fine there as
well. however, when loading hexloader, these problems won't show up
anymore, which is kind of against the initial reason for going the
single-object way.

hans: [<~],[>~] and [tabread4~~] will load in pd-extended-0.40, right?

> so: are there any problems when you try to compile zexy as a lib?

no.

back to [tabread~~]:
is there any point in using it without a [line~~] or [vline~~]? if yes,
how is it supposed to be used?

thanks
roman