[PD] pd 0.41.0 test07 font size

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Dec 8 00:09:59 CET 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2007, at 11:43 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> And yes, it would use twice more RAM everywhere. This includes the cache,
>> so it may cause slowdown in some situations. I would enjoy it if [table]
>> and its friends supported int16 (mere CD quality) for example. I believe
>> that in float64 mode, pd could benefit from a float32 option on [table]
>> too.
> I believe IEM has a suite of tools for using 16-bit samples called "iem16".

Right, but I believe it would be better if it were all integrated together
so that it would be easy to recompile any existing externals with support
for any extra types added... e.g. if I add a new array element type in
m_pd.h would just be a plain recompile away (a recompile of all
externals). (This is possible with macros, even without any C++ features)

It makes it harder to keep binary compatibility, but then switching pd to
float64 also is doubling the number of binaries to make, unless float64 is
really only used in 64-bit mode and float32 only used in 32-bit mode.