[PD] Fwd: [psql] object hand-holding

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 23:27:43 CET 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike McGonagle <mjmogo at gmail.com>
Date: Dec 9, 2007 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [PD] [psql] object hand-holding
To: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>

On 12/7/07, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> > That is done by sending the [submit( message to the hot inlet.  Or do
> you
> > mean having multiple SQL calls separated by semi-colons?  If you wanted
> > add semicolons, there would have to be a special message, I think we
> could
> > just reuse the "addsemi", "addcomma", "adddollar" messages from message
> > boxes.
>
> The only SQL interface I'd really be happy to use (if I had to use SQL) is
>
> something using placeholders, sort of like [expr], but perhaps written in
> the usual SQL style:
>
> [sql select * from candies where flavour=? and colour=?]

I am actually considering going back to this idea, as I can't seem to figure
out why my current version of [sqlite] is crashing. Hans said that PD
generally doesn't crash, and for other externals that I have written, I was
able to track down the bugs because it was crashing within my external. Here
it is crashing while executing PD code, and that tells me that PD DOES
crash.

I wish there were some sort of tutorial on troubleshooting problems like
this, mostly because I don't really know where to start with something like
'gdb'.

> you wouldn't modify the statement any more than you modify an [expr] at
> runtime. this allows the statement to be precompiled by the server. you
> could still allow runtime change but perhaps it would get messy with
> multiple inlets, so let's assume for now that it is not supported.

This is why I thought of this in the first place. You generally don't modify
the SQL, except to insert data.

Mike

--
Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.