[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 10 03:41:04 CET 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of [expr]'s syntax since it is custom syntax that is
> not used anywhere else in Pd.

A precedent has to start somewhere :)

I believe that the goal is to make an interface that is effortless to use
rather than try to be more dataflowish than the pope. The goal is not to
pass more messages and use more objects and connections just to show off
what's the concept of dataflow and how deeply pd follows it. The goal is
still to make patches work with as little effort as possible.

I also believe that there are plenty of pd classes that have at least one
element of syntax that is not used anywhere else in pd. It also depends on
how you look at pd: are two occurrences in two very related classes,
counting as one occurrence, or as two? and why would it be counted that
way?

> Instead, you could achieve the same result by using the interface I
> described, then embedded your SQL statements with [sql] into a subpatch
> or an abstraction.  This just about any regular Pd user knows how to do.

But it's better to not have to do that.