[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 10 03:47:59 CET 2007

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> Then I persuaded him that passing the queries as a list to the inlet
> would be more flexible. It also greatly reduces the number of objects
> required to send a query, if you have more than one query.

I don't understand the latter part. How does it work? I'm talking about
putting any number of queries together in a single object and passing the
arguments of those queries all together in a list. How can you reduce the
number of objects more than that? Your way takes at least two objects
instead of one and it does not provide any protection against SQL
injection because it can't distinguish between a symbol passed as a SQL
argument and a symbol representing part of the statement syntax itself.
All the burden of quoting symbols is put on the user, which takes a lot
more than 2 objects, if even possible.

> I also agree with Hans about being consistent with other Pd objects esp.
> [textfile].

If you really are going to go that way, consider supporting placeholders
in queries from the beginning.