[PD] general questions on externals

Yvan Vander Sanden yvan at youngmusic.org
Mon Dec 10 10:52:03 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 09:27 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> altern wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > The uni i am collaborating with has an engineer that did a image
> > analisys tool on C couple of years ago. Now they want to port parts of
> > it to PD creating an external. The engineer that does the job is
> > checking the documentation about externals but he was getting some error.
> >
> > He doesnt have internet at home, doesnt like it. And does not use email
> > much, on top of this he does not speak english ... :( so this might end
> > up like japanese whispers ...
> >
> > As far as I understood he was trying to do a "hello world" example and
> > was able to compile but the PD was not able to create the object despite
> > of being placed into a folder within the PD path. He is using Visual
> > Studio to compile. He was checking Flext as well. He was confused and he
> > was asking which is the best way to go about creating externals under
> > windows. I think he is using Visual Studio to compile.
>
> the externals-howto (if he is referring to that) is pretty complete as
> far as it goes to writing externals.
> it does say nothing about compiling externals though.

Last summmer, I wrote a small how-to about this, for people using Dev-C
++. Maybe that can help. It can be found on:

http://youngmusic.org/wiki/index.php/PD-linking-tutorial

There is also one about compiling a library of externals:

http://youngmusic.org/wiki/index.php/PD-library-tutorial

yvan vander sanden