[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 10 16:51:25 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 6:47 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Mike McGonagle schrieb:
>>

>> On 12/9/07, *Thomas Grill* <gr at grrrr.org <mailto:gr at grrrr.org>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Mike McGonagle schrieb:
>>     I know and it has been on my todo list for a long time. The
>> point is
>>     that it hasn't made it to the top of this list since i don't
>> need it.
>>     On the other hand it doesn't seem so important in general that
>> any
>>     other
>>     person has cared to do it although i consider it a trivial
>> task and i
>>     offered my support for any questions that might arise.
>>

>> Well, this is not something that is within reach of many people. We
>> need to understand not just PD's internals, but how flext uses them,
>> and we also need to know how to integrate these things with the
>> extended nightly builds. Not quite certain how many people know
>> ALL of
>> these things. Probably only a handful, and it would appear that none
>> of them are interested in getting flext working.
>>
> It's not like that. It's certainly not a precondition to understand
> the
> inner workings of pd, flext or the operating system to compile an
> external.
> Integrating flext or anything else into the pd-extended build system,
> needs knowledge of the pd-extended build system and not much more.
> It's
> absolutely not necessary to understand flext to do this integration. I
> don't have sufficient knowledge of the pd-extended build system and
> i'm
> not going to spend time on dealing with it, but whoever is
> interested in
> the integration can dive into it, write the necessary make files (i
> could even provide skeletons for this) and stuff it into the build
> system in the usual free-style manner.

If flext had a autoconf build system, it would be trivial to add,
just like Gem, PDP, PiDiP, zexy, etc..  The issue now is a custom
build system that is difficult to script to work automatically cross-
platform.  (or maybe it's not difficult, but it's custom so noone
knows how).

Basically all it would take to add an autoconf system to Pd-extended
is changing the paths here:

PDP_NAME=pdp
$(externals_src)/pdp/configure: $(externals_src)/pdp/configure.ac
	cd $(externals_src)/pdp && autoconf

$(externals_src)/pdp/Makefile.config: $(externals_src)/pdp/
Makefile.config.in
	cd $(externals_src)/pdp && ./configure PD_CPPFLAGS="-I$(pd_src)/src" \
		--enable-quicktime

$(externals_src)/pdp/pdp.$(EXTENSION):  $(externals_src)/pdp/configure \
$(externals_src)/pdp/Makefile.config
	$(MAKE) -C $(externals_src)/pdp PD_EXECUTABLE="$(pd_src)/bin/pd"

pdp: $(externals_src)/pdp/pdp.$(EXTENSION)

pdp_install: pdp
#	install -d $(objectsdir)/$(PDP_NAME)
#	$(scripts_src)/generate-libdir-metafile.sh $(objectsdir) $(PDP_NAME) \
#		--author "Tom Schouten" \
#		--description "Pure Data Packet" \
#		--license "GNU GPL"
	install -p $(externals_src)/pdp/*.$(EXTENSION) $(objectsdir)
#	install -p $(externals_src)/pdp/abstractions/*.pd $(objectsdir)/$
(PDP_NAME)
	install -p $(externals_src)/pdp/abstractions/*.pd $(objectsdir)
#	install -d $(helpdir)/$(PDP_NAME)
	install -p $(externals_src)/pdp/doc/objects/*.* $(helpdir)
	install -d $(manualsdir)/$(PDP_NAME)
	install -p $(externals_src)/pdp/doc/reference.txt $(manualsdir)/$
(PDP_NAME)
	install -p $(externals_src)/pdp/doc/introduction/*.* \
		$(manualsdir)/$(PDP_NAME)
	install -d $(examplesdir)/$(PDP_NAME)
	install -p $(externals_src)/pdp/doc/examples/*.* \
		$(examplesdir)/$(PDP_NAME)

.hc