[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 21:30:23 CET 2007

On 12/10/07, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> But it requires multiple logins, perhaps many at once, which might be
> wasteful. For sharing database connections between several [psql]
> objects, what do you think would be the best ways to do it? This is
> supposing that several different database connections can still be
> used at once, as specified in the patches.

In one of the early prototypes I wrote for this, I set it up so that the
connections were shared. Basically, when an object tried to open a
connection, it would check if there was already one open, and if so, it
would use that. Else it would create a new connection, which would then get
stored in the global connection object.

One thing that I would be curious about would be any collisions in using a
shared object, but I also think that should be something left to think about
in building the PD patch.

Mike

--
Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.