[PD] symbolatom: why does it not allow to type spaces?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 10 23:19:19 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 3:25 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 15:03 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>

>>    print: symbol real\ people\ want\ to\ use\ spaces!
>
> definitely. the first question i hear from people using netpd/pd the
> first time is: 'how can i type spaces?' yet i decided to not add
> another
> dependency for netpd just because of this rather silly restriction.
> but
> since it seems, that the lack of spaces is really troubling users,
> i am
> unsure, whether i should change that policy.

I think it would be awesome to have a real IRC or Jabber client in Pd
and use it in netpd.  That's why I am writing the tkwidgets library,
so that we can have nice, familiar, OS-native widgets in Pd.  netpd's
chat would be a great test case for the new [entry], which isn't
written yet, but wouldn't take long.  You could try [tkwidgets/text]
it works pretty well now, and is quite customizable (there is still a
couple bugs tho).

.hc