[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 10 23:54:11 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Jamie Bullock wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 12:18 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> This almost *never* happens.
>> I take your point, but I think you are exaggerating slightly.
>
> Not in this context. We're only looking at the average query; I
> don't even mean an actual query, but statistics about queries. If
> only 10% of them don't have arguments, then unless there's a huge
> difference in object count (which there is not), it doesn't make
> much of a difference on the total object count. And that is only
> supposing that you need something like an extra [bang] before your
> sql query to prevent [psql] from getting non-bang messages.
>
>> I just looked at the code for a database driven web app I worked
>> on recently. It uses 30 queries, 3 of which have no variables. Out
>> of these three only one doesn't 'overlap' with other queries and
>> therefore can't be refactored. Maybe 1 in 30 is almost never?
>
> Yes. to contrast this, 3% wouldn't be "almost never" if, for
> example, the issue was whether to support something at all, or not.
> In that case, if the cost of a workaround is 50x the wanted
> feature, or if a workaround is impossible, it can weigh a lot in
> the design priorities.
>
>> Good point! I think Hans' recent suggestion addresses the problem. It
>> also occurs to me that for Postgres at least, we have the PREPARE
>> statement, which addresses the optimisation and injection issues you
>> have raised. Technically [psql] already supports PREPARE except that
>> PREPARE uses the '$' character as its placeholder identifier, and
>> '$1'
>> can't be passed around as a symbol in Pd. I think it might be
>> interesting to use the '?' notation currently under discussion as an
>> interface to PREPARE though.
>
> The '?' notation is either MySQL-specific or PerlDBI-specific or
> both. By PerlDBI I mean any database interface (in any language)
> following's Perl DBI package closely enough. I guess that if you
> use DBI-over-Postgres, then it replaces all ? by $ automatically.

The other somewhat common style that I saw in my searches was printf
patterns (%s, %f, etc).  In Pd, [makefilename], [makesymbol],
[sprintf], and perhaps others use this syntax.  The single ? notation
seems to be supported by at least these, if you want to call that
"specific":  Qt, PerlDBI, Perl's DBD::Pg, RubyDBI, PHP PDO, Java
JDBC, MySQL, Oracle.

I think it is quite important to reuse existing syntax rather than
introducing new syntax.  Minimal syntax is really one of Pd's biggest
strengths.  Since these lines would be pure SQL, I think it would be
appropriate to use a common SQL syntax.

I just had a thought, SQL injection relies on being able to send semi-
colons in text fields.  You can't transmit a semicolon in a message
in Pd, and if you don't provide a means to explicitly send a semi-
colon to the query (e.g. [addsemi( to the hot inlet), then no one
will ever be able to send a semi-colon to [sqlite]/[psql]. Pd would
always interpret the semi-colon before the object received it on its
cold inlet.  AFAIK, that eliminates basically all of the really bad
SQL injection attacks.

.hc