[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 11 00:07:49 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> On 12/10/07, Jamie Bullock <jamie at postlude.co.uk> wrote:
> PREPARE uses the '$' character as its placeholder identifier, and '$1'
>
> Jamie, after thinking about this, I don't think we should worry
> about the specifics of the characters that we use, as long as we
> can agree on what gets entered into a PD message box, the specific
> instance of the external ('sqlite', 'psql', etc.) can handle the
> conversion to what the specific database uses.
>
> From what I have seen on this thread, is it right that the '?'
> syntax does NOT have an identifier following it? I think it would
> be very helpful if we use identifiers in the SQL if only to make
> the binding to the proper datatypes easier, as per my last email.

It seems many things use the "?" alone as the unnamed placeholder,
but I only saw MySQL using ?name for named placeholders.  It does
seem like a nicer syntax rather than using a different character.
Perhaps, we should follow pgsql and use "$" and "$name", since "$" is
already a marker for replacement vars in Pd.  I suppose that could
get confusing in something like:

SELECT id, ABS(($duration - $1)/$2) AS error FROM datatable ORDER BY
error LIMIT 1

.hc

> Mike
>
> --
> Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires
> everything we have, every quality, every strength, every dream,
> every high ideal.
> —Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician

----

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson