[PD] symbolatom: why does it not allow to type spaces?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Dec 11 04:09:34 CET 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 09:25:56PM +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> before i change my policy about using externals in netpd, i would like
> to ask (probably miller?), if there is a chance, that symbolatom is
> changed accordingly in the future?

When I asked about spaces in symbols on the pd-dev list Miller's reply
was: "1. spaces in symbols are a parsing/formatting problem, not a data
type problem." So that would indicate that he sees it as a problem that
must be fixed. Be good if someone could submit a nice clean patch to
fix the parsing problem and see if he accepts it.

Another similar reply to the issue of symbol table saturation was "2. use
arrays as strings as I proposed;" which isn't currently possible in your
use-case because the symbol input box itself won't let you input spaces
to even get them into an array.

Best,

Chris.