[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 10:27:46 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 16:43 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Mike McGonagle wrote:
>
> > In one of the early prototypes I wrote for this, I set it up so that the
> > connections were shared. Basically, when an object tried to open a
> > connection, it would check if there was already one open, and if so, it
> > would use that. Else it would create a new connection, which would then
> > get stored in the global connection object.
>
> I think that the first argument of [psql] could be a receive-symbol,
> followed by the query itself. Then [psql] would not use the receive-symbol
> to send messages to, it would look at the receiver directly, checking that
> it's a [psql.connection] object, and then calling a function of that
> object directly, and get called back when a response is received. This is
> quite close to how [tabread] works except it inserts a [delay] before the
> result. It's how [tabread] would work if it were trying to access an array
> on another computer.

I like this idea. What do you think about using an implicit
receive-symbol, '$0-psql.1001', '$0-psql.1002' etc? Would it be possible
for psql to automatically discover the psql.conn's receive symbol by
using pd_findbyclass(), and then reading a variable in the object
struct?

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk