[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 11 11:19:04 CET 2007

Hallo,

> From what I hear from Marius' struggles with pdlua, it's definitely
> not trivial, and I would say, I probably wouldn't call it easy
> either.

If you read up on that thread, most of it is related to problems
building Pd. Also Marius wanted to build OpenGL for Lua, which adds
dependencies, of course. But Lua itself doesn't have any dependencies
besides ANSI C.

Building Lua on OS-X is just "make macosx", building pdlua then
just is something like:

gcc $(CFLAGS) -bundle -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -o lua.pd_darwin lua.c -llua

or whatever the current fashion of compiling C externals on OS-X is.
CFLAGS should include the -I and -L lines to your Lua directory of
course. Add "-static" and you get a static build that you can copy
around without even needing to "install" Lua itself.

I think, compiling an external doesn't get more simple than that.

Ciao