[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 11 21:48:44 CET 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:07 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> It seems many things use the "?" alone as the unnamed placeholder,
>> but
>> I only saw MySQL using ?name for named placeholders.  It does seem
>> like a nicer syntax rather than using a different character.
>> Perhaps,
>> we should follow pgsql and use "$" and "$name", since "$" is
>> already a
>> marker for replacement vars in Pd.  I suppose that could get
>> confusing
>> in something like:
>>

>> SELECT id, ABS(($duration - $1)/$2) AS error FROM datatable ORDER BY
>> error LIMIT 1
>>

> I vote that we use "?" as a placeholder, and only support unnamed
> placeholders. We can use this to convert to whatever the db-specific
> placeholder system is inside the external.

I am ok with using ?name for placeholders, but I think we should also
support the plain ? with the list input.  I am fine if that happens
later tho.  I'd like to get something working soon, we've done a lot
of talking :).

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli