[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 12 01:06:07 CET 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> [...]
>>> you mentioned Python as a solution, and my feeling was that if I
>>> write a
>>> piece and it uses some database connectivity, I don't really want to
>>> have to distribute a Python runtime, relevant Python SQL module,
>>> [py]
>>> and all the respective dependencies with it. I just (at most)
>>> want to
>>> include an external, and the databse library it uses. If I write a
>>> piece, I can't reasonably expect a performer to resolve all of this
>>> themselves - it needs to "just work". I also want to minimise as
>>> much as
>>> possible the number of discrete components in the system that could
>>> possibly go wrong.
>>
>> That's quite sensible. As soon as a DB interface is involved, one
>> already has entered dependency hell, so minimizig further
>> dependencies
>> may be a valid goal. However a dependency on flext is just a
>> dependency at compile time, so it's not really an additional
>> dependency at runtime. A dependency on Python is kind of a dependency
>> at runtime, as you need a possibly large Python installation. A
>> dependency on Lua is also a runtime dependency, however as Lua is
>> small, including it with the binaries will make the runtime
>> dependency
>> not matter.
>>
>> An immediate advantage of both Python and Lua is, that once the
>> system
>> is set up (easy with Lua, a bit tricky with pyext), the actual object
>> code is just a textfile with a script. Especially as so far it's not
>> even clear, how the SQL class in Pd should behave, this would allow
>> rapid turnaround cycles in development. (For example I posted a
>> working SQL object in Lua some weeks ago, and in Pyext some months
>> ago, that took me about 20 minutes to write, including help-patch. In
>> the case of Lua, I had never written SQL code in that language
>> before.
>> I wasn't so fast because I would be a genius programmer, but because
>> the language is easier and no compilation is involved.)
>>
>> For a general purpose DB interface I would generally still prefer
>> Python because threading is possible, but if ease of installation
>> is a
>> higher goal, Lua IMO even beats C-externals.
>
> Things are easy to compile only if your machine is setup for
> compiling.  Pd patches and  binaries shipped as part of Pd are by
> far the easiest to use.  Getting distribution working in a non-
> trivial task, so unless lua and/or python are built as part of Pd-
> extended, I would not consider it easy.
>
> Other than that, Python, PHP, Perl, Lua, etc all have native
> interfaces to databases (some likely written in C), I think Pd
> should also have a native interface for databases.  Pd is written
> in C, we have working C code, Pd externals written in C have a
> proven track record of ease of use, so it makes sense to write this

I just wanted to add, I am not anti-python or lua or whatever.  It's
just a practical matter.  Pd is written in C, therefore it's going to
be much easier to manage Pd code written in C.  C is a pain, that's
true, but that's what we got.  Perhaps someone could write another pd
in Lua! :D

.hc

> That said, I think we have a solid interface sketched out, I think
> it's time to write some code and try it out.  I've started porting
> the mysql external from Max to Pd.  Let me know if you guys want
> specific help with psql and sqlite.  Ultimately, I think these all
> should be part of a 'sql' library, and then we can also add the
> query building objects too.
>
> .hc

> ------
>
> As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should
> be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
> and this we should do freely and generously.         - Benjamin
> Franklin

----

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
controls you." - Richard M. Stallman