[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 17:52:02 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 15:48 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:07 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >>

> >> It seems many things use the "?" alone as the unnamed placeholder,
> >> but
> >> I only saw MySQL using ?name for named placeholders.  It does seem
> >> like a nicer syntax rather than using a different character.
> >> Perhaps,
> >> we should follow pgsql and use "$" and "$name", since "$" is
> >> already a
> >> marker for replacement vars in Pd.  I suppose that could get
> >> confusing
> >> in something like:
> >>

> >> SELECT id, ABS(($duration - $1)/$2) AS error FROM datatable ORDER BY
> >> error LIMIT 1
> >>

> > I vote that we use "?" as a placeholder, and only support unnamed
> > placeholders. We can use this to convert to whatever the db-specific
> > placeholder system is inside the external.
>
> I am ok with using ?name for placeholders, but I think we should also
> support the plain ? with the list input.  I am fine if that happens
> later tho.  I'd like to get something working soon, we've done a lot
> of talking :).

I agree about getting on with it. However, I probably won't be able to
commit any coding time to [psql] until after Christmas. This might be
sensible though - I suggest we get the interface to one of the objects
'right' first and then copy this in the others. Mike seems to be pretty
active on the SQLite one, so I suggest we let that take the lead and
follow that.

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk