[PD] symbolatom: why does it not allow to type spaces?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 13 03:14:43 CET 2007

This is purely a practical issue.  If your patches don't work across
Pd and Desiredata, then they are not compatible.  It's that simple.
Compatibility is one goal that can get in the way of fixing bugs.

Why not just write separate bugfree versions and leave the existing
names to be compatible objects?  Basically, unless desiredata is
compatible, it not very useful to Pd users.

.hc

On Dec 12, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> It's nice to add those features, but by adding them to the pd-
>> vanilla objects, that means patches written in desiredata are not
>> compatible with pd-vanilla.
>
> No, pd-vanilla loads them fine, the patches are compatible. It's
> just about bugs that you don't consider to be bugs. A bug is a bug
> is a bug, and I consider the compatibility issue with bugs to be
> moot, because the bug is the fault of the software that has the bug
> in it, it's not the fault of the rest of the planet.
>
> It's Pd's fault for both looking like it supports spaces in symbols
> using backslashes and then not supporting them properly. I don't
> care about your sustained bias in favour of Miller's bugs as if
> they were features to be supported.
>
>> It seems a better solution would be to add new desiredata objects,
>> then keep the iemguis compatible.
>
> It makes patches even less compatible because then *any* patches
> using the new objects are not compatible at all, and people have to
> choose between old vs new objects. Aren't you tired of choosing
> between floatatom and [nbx] ? why shouldn't everybody else be tired
> of it already? You want more of that crap? You want 10 times more
> of that crap, for all iemguis?
>
> It's not the first time you suggest things like that. I will not
> provide new object classes when I can extend existing ones in
> "logical" ways. I understand what is the Liskov substitution
> principle and I apply it to the evolution of classes across
> versions. Either you don't understand it or you spit on it, and
> either way, I can't approve you.

> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801, Montréal QC Canada

----

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!