[PD] symbolatom: why does it not allow to type spaces?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 13 19:06:57 CET 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Full answer: you use the tcl flags to save the arguments.  This
>> works fine in binbufs:
>> -text "this is my label" -font "Lucida Sans" 10 bold -fg black -bg
>> green
>> Check tkwidgets/text.c for more info.
>
> so, how do you put double-quotes within labels?

I should correct the above line, it's not quite right:

-text {this is my label} -font {"Lucida Sans" 10 bold} -fg black -bg
green

AFAIK, using the {} as quotes means it should had over everything
inside of those brackets.  So {"} should show a double quote.  If you
look at the code in externals/tkwidgets/text.c, you'll see I am just
letting Tcl format the strings using "text cget -text", then writing
that to a file via a binbuf.

> how do you put a literal dollarsign within labels?

Donno, any suggestions?

> what about open-bracket?

This one has stumped me, and I've asked a bit in #tcl, but no luck.
Any suggestions?  Did you get it working?  What is actually more
important, IMHO, is a way to insert a open-bracket into a text widget
using a message.  Using [key 123( then lots of escaping in C hasn't
worked for me either.

----

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!