[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 13 20:50:17 CET 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> It is useful to represent the pieces in Pd space, so you can understand
> what's going on.  That's one reason why I advocate having the core object
> represent the connection to the database rather than a query.  Otherwise,
> it's starts to become more like Max/MSP's mega-objects (coll, zl, etc) that
> are really like mini-applications than programming.

I don't see your point. [zl] acts more like a namespace prefix than an
actual class, so, it's really not much less modular than what it could be:
most of the time it wouldn't make much of a difference to split it in
smaller classes except splitting the help patch into tiny bits with more
header and footer than actual content.

[coll] needs it like that because the data sits within [coll], it's not
"functional" like [zl] is. Pd's arrays are likewise, but with less
methods.

Neither [zl] nor [coll] seems to me like they have anything to do with
the way to handle multiple connections. [coll] would be relevant if it
offered a way to share the same collection across several [coll] objects.

I don't know what's a "mini-application" nor how it's supposed to always
differ from what a class is.