[PD] Gem - glutWarpPointer?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 14 17:49:51 CET 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:

> My dream of writing a quake style shooter in Gem (heh) has been foiled.
> Apparently neither Gem nor luagl support the glutWarpPointer call which
> many shooters use to restrict the mouse to the centre of the screen
> between reads of the mouse pointer movements (so the mouse can't move
> off the screen). That and the fact that the Gem window sometimes seems
> to not pick up key presses in full screen mode. Any chance we can add
> glutWarpPointer to Gem? Any other ideas?

I explained part of the full-screen key event problem on #dataflow a few
days ago. It involves registering <Enter> and <Leave> events, and
then handling them using XSetInputFocus, or perhaps just use
XSetInputFocus directly, but I was trying to think of the case where a
window is borderless and not fullscreen, so this is why I think of <Enter>
and <Leave> events.

For the other, I know that X11 also has XWarpPointer, no idea about
glutWarpPointer, I don't know any GLUT. If none of the gem devs want it,
you could make yourself a very small external that wouldn't depend on gem
but would just call glutWarpPointer or XWarpPointer. I know that for the
latter, the code wouldn't need to be more than 20 lines.