[PD] Granular Synthesis Study

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 16 22:45:49 CET 2007

Hallo,
U??ur Güney hat gesagt: // U??ur Güney wrote:

> # Thanks for the hints. After I changed expr~ with tabread~ the cpu
> consumption decreased dramatically.
> # As a I understand the Vosim patch, sinusoidal harmonics model of sound is
> not useful for speech. It is very interesting that repeating N successive
> decaying sin^2 peaks sounds like a vowel.

Well, Vosim was developed for speech, so I guess at least it was
useful for that, but personally I didn't really play that much with
it. A single vosim generator as in my patch will exhibit a signal with
one strong formant. Combine three of them, and you can do some almost
nice vowel sounds by putting the formants at the typical frequencies
for a, e, i ...

Although vosim is a granular technique, it's purpose is mainly in the
realm of what Miller calls "designer spectra" in his book. There he
also describes some more flexible techniques.

> # In my PD distro (0.39.2-extended-test7) [polypoly~], [nqpoly4]  does not
> exist. So I can't use them.

They are just abstractions, you could get them from CVS and then use
them. Both really help with creating and managing many copies of an
abstraction.

Ciao