[PD] -nogui question

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 17 07:33:03 CET 2007

If an object doesn't have a visual representation, i.e. its not drawn
on a canvas, then it won't have a Tcl/Tk representation at all, so
the slow GUI stuff doesn't apply to things that aren't visible.  That
includes non-visible GUI objects.

.hc

On Dec 16, 2007, at 7:15 PM, Daniel Wilcox wrote:

> I was under the impression that starting pd without the gui would
> take out some of the slow downs
> assoicated with the gui such as gui object generation.  I have some
> objects in my rc-patches that
> build the object based on its creation args such as [rc-seq 16 4]
> makes 16 toggle boxes with 4 beat
> divisions.  Now if I have a bunch of these it slows down the
> I understand ... but it also slows down loading in -nogui mode
> which I don't.  So is -nogui mode doing all
> of the tk work but just not drawing the window?
>
> The main problem is this makes patch loading realllyyy slow on my
> performance computer, PIII 500.  So I'm going to actually
> rebuild all of the songs using static objects instead of dynamic
> ones ... which is too bad because the
> flexibility of the dynamic objects was nice when creating the song
> initially.  So is that my only option
> for now, or is there some super trick I haven't noticed?
>
> --
> Dan Wilcox
> danomatika
> www.robotcowboy.com

----

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra