[PD] timing question

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Mon Dec 17 16:20:21 CET 2007

Derek Holzer wrote:
> Thanks, Zen-Master Claudius. Your quantum revelations still leave me
> wondering, however, what is the minimum time between two events which
> can be scheduled?

[delay 0] works.

> I teach my students that the reason you can't send audio to "message"
> (i.e. non-audio) objects is that "message" objects run slower.  While
> this may not be "logically" correct to many of the hackers that live on
> this list, it is a convenient way to explain the difference to artists
> just beginning in this world. Block size was the technical answer I gave.

You can send audio to message objects, eg: [tabsend~].  What you can't
do is have a ( message -> non-clock-aware-audio -> message ) turnaround
less than a block size, as all messages that can affect an audio block
are computed before the audio block is computed.

> Now that I know this is false, I need a new explanation. Plus I'd like
> to know what the limits of message processing speed are. In "real time",
> please.

Actually, "message" time is in advance of "audio" time, which is in
advance of "real" time: a message sent to a [vline~] logically occurs in
the future, compared to the time the [vline~] starts computing the
particular audio block when the event will have occured, which is in the
future compared to the "real" time when the audio plays.  (Sorry for
tense confusion, it's tricky...).

message computation happens before audio computation happens before
audio playback

Pd has no notion of "real" time, only "logical" time, of which "audio
logical time" is as close to real time as you are likely to get if you
don't overload your CPU and cause dropouts.

The limit of message processing speed depends on how fast your CPU is
compared to the messages you want to process.  No CPU is fast enough to
compute ( "bang"--[until] ) in a finite time...

Claude

BTW, I like how I can turn on [pix_write] and [writesf~] and have
everything work in logical time (with very many dropouts) and the final
video be in perfect sync with the sound.  Using [gemhead] for sequencing
the audio is kinda fun too, but I'm just afraid I'll get bored with
125bpm ;)