[PD] What exactly is a "stack overflow" ?

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:22:23 CET 2007

Usually it means you are recursively calling a function (although not
always), and it has pushed so many return addresses on the stack, that the
stack buffer overflows. The stack is used by the processor to store
addresses when it makes function calls, so that it can mark where to return
to when the function call has completed.
Can you give an example of the patch that is causing this error?

Mike

On Dec 17, 2007 12:47 PM, David Schaffer <schafferdavid at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Can anyone explain me what a "stack overflow" error is (at least what
> it means in Pd) and what I can do about it?! Thank you
>

>                         D.S
>

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/schafferdavid/
> http://audioblog.arteradio.com/David_Schaffer/

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician