[PD] Help: computer dead + dropouts on hdsp pcmcia card on OsX+pdext

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Dec 17 22:49:14 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:03 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2007, at 8:30 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 19:58 +0000, Joao Miguel Pais wrote:
> >> - I installed my rme hdsp pcmcia card on a friends OsX (don't know
> >> now
> >> which one, but I think the latest one), and also pd-ext (latest
> >> stable
> >> version). Audio worked, but there were constant dropouts that
> >> wouldn't
> >> disappear (and there seemed to be more dropouts there when there was
> >> more audio, and specially more with held sounds).
> >> Do you know what might be causing the dropouts, and what could be
> >> done
> >> for it?
> >
> > i experienced similar issues with pd on osx quite a few times. the
> > most
> > common symptom was a short noise approximately every half second.
> > whenever i encountered something like that, it helped to install jack
> > and run pd -> jack -> coredaudio (instead of pd -> coreaudio). don't
> > know if this can be generalized as a solution, but at least it
> > helped in
> > all cases i know.
> >
> > http://www.jackosx.com/
>
> AFAIK, the bug that you describe, Roman, is due to the internal
> soundcard.  Did it happen with an external soundcard?  If so, could
> add that to the bug report?  It's an important detail.

unfortunately i can't recall the models of the mac books where i have
encountered this problem. it didn't always sound the same. i encountered
at least two times, when running pd on the internal card, a very regular
and short interrupt in the sound (~2Hz). it wasn't audible, if a zero
signal was sent to [dac~].
the other issue i encountered only once was when running pd on a
firewire box. unfortunately i can't recall the model and brand of it
either. the symptom here was more weird. audio sounded quite 'digitally'
distorted. the kind of distortion could be changed by changing the
samplingrate setting in the pd audio dialog. to me it looked like pd
wouldn't get the clock from the audio card, but would instead generate
its own one. this is just a quick guess, of course. however, [tabread~]
with  a speed of 0.9 from a table sounds similar to that distortion.
because, as usually, we hadn't the time to investigate the exact problem
further, i'd proposed to try it with jackosx and it helped.

is that information useful for a bug report?
i'm sorry, that i cannot be more of help.

roman