[PD] Recording question

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 18 23:51:22 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 23:38 +1100, simon wise wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2007, at 10:22 PM, tania habib wrote:
>
> > I am working on Mac Pro osx 10.4, I have not tried the two different
> > soundcards option, we use the multichannel sound card for our
> > recordings.
>

> the OSX audio system does have a system to join two different soundcards
> -open Audio MIDI Setup (usually in the Utilities folder)
> -then open the Aggregate Devices Editor from the Audio menu
>     - here you can create a new device, select which will be the
> master clock etc
> -this new device can then be selected and used in the usual manner

hey, that is cool to know (as a non-osx user, i wouldn't have expected
something like that to exist, but i think, i know quite some people who
could benefit from that).
just in case you know: do you have an idea how this system deals with
the fact, that each of this cheapo soundcards have their own clock? does
it use one as the master clock and does apply a samplingrate conversion
to the other in order to sync it?
i am asking, because i would like to know, if any decrease in sound
quality is expected when you use aggregate.

roman