[PD] symbolatom: why does it not allow to type spaces?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 19 00:32:00 CET 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Donno, any suggestions?
>> backslash it!
> Pd doesn't support backslashes.

Because you have to make it support backslashes first.

>>> This one has stumped me, and I've asked a bit in #tcl, but no luck.
>> backslash it!
> If it was just a backslash, do you think I'd be asking?

I don't know what's going in your mind. With what you just said, I'm sort
of surprise that you don't just say again that Pd doesn't support
backslashes.

The other bug is in t_tkcmd.c, because there Miller wrote in 656 lines of
C what takes ~10 lines in pure Tcl, including trying to preemptively parse
Tcl commands instead of asking Tcl to do it, and getting it wrong whenever
braces are backslashed.

>> 123 is not a bracket, it's a brace. But for either the solution is the
>> same: backslash it!
> Sorry, brackets "[]" work fine

In your original question I believe you said that you were using
doublequotes, in which case [] need backslashes. They don't need them when
inside braces.

> and close curly bracket "}" works fine

I expect close-brace (as it is normally called) to fail at least
sometimes, in the process of backslashing it, when using t_tkcmd.c, using
certain combinations of backslashed and non-backslashed braces, but I'm
not sure. I won't try it, but as long as you wish to keep using t_tkcmd.c,
you will have to think about this.