[PD] Recording question

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 02:00:40 CET 2007

On 19 Dec 2007, at 9:51 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> hey, that is cool to know (as a non-osx user, i wouldn't have expected
> something like that to exist, but i think, i know quite some people
> who
> could benefit from that).
> just in case you know: do you have an idea how this system deals with
> the fact, that each of this cheapo soundcards have their own clock?
> does
> it use one as the master clock and does apply a samplingrate
> conversion
> to the other in order to sync it?
> i am asking, because i would like to know, if any decrease in sound
> quality is expected when you use aggregate.

I've used it a couple of times to get some extra outputs from a
laptop, and it has worked fine but I haven't used it extensively.
There are options to choose which clock source is used, and options
(for each physical device) to re-sample the audio so it seems that it
will re-sample if you choose, or not if it works ok without - I guess
that would depend on things like the abilities of the cards and their
drivers.

It has been around for a while - maybe introduced in OSX 10.3???

simon