[PD] performance question: connections versus sends

Daniel Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 02:10:03 CET 2007

Well, it all comes down to style now if we've determined theres no speed
diff.
Right now I've been building my objects with both traditional inlets/outlets
as
well as send/recieve mirrors named on the object name, first creation arg
ala
Chris McCormick's s-abstractions.

So [rc-arp arp1] has a midi note inlet as well as a matching [r arp1/notein]
receive.
It also has receives for each gui element.  This is nice in that I can
connect
things in the traditional manner, but also quickly grab things in other
parts of the patch.

It relatively easy to keep track of what's going on since the receives are
based on the
name and functionality, although at this point I find myself using
connections much more.
Another note is that I have recently upgraded to a newer used computer after
I somehow
connected 220VAC to the old laptop's Audio In which means I have a smaller
resolution display.
There's a big diff in patching practice between 1400x1050 and 1024x768.

Hmmm I have't tried this "global message bus" idea yet.

--
Dan Wilcox
danomatika