[PD] generatiing a keypress

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 19 00:47:18 CET 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 11:19 PM, Patrice Colet wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

>>>   midiox program converts Keystrokes to MIDI Notes, it doesn't
>>> emulate
>>> keystrokes.
>>>
>>> There might be a trick to do this with macosx API ,like I did with
>>> windows API in [winkey]?
>>>
>>> PureData can do this on linux and now on windows with the help of
>>> different externals.
>>>   I bet many users would love to have a single external for both
>>> platforms, that uses the same parameters, same help file, the object
>>> would have then the same name, it wouldn't be x11key anymore but
>>> [keystroke] or something like this and would work on most platforms.
>>>   Aalex, what do you think?
>> Sounds like a great idea.  How about something like [send_key] or
>> [type_key]?
>> .hc
>
> [send_key] sounds good, also I might have found how to do this on
> MAC OS    X, by the use of sysctl.h, with looking at the source of
> some programs that emulates keystrokes, but I haven't got the
> machine for testing...

Post the example code and someone will probably look at it.  If it is
easy, I'll do it, especially if there is already a cross-platform
object written.

Also, [hid] and [hidio] both have a cross-platform event/message
scheme that is translated into the native platform messages.  I think
for [send_key] it use an existing scheme, like from [key]/[keyup]/
[keyname] or [hidio].

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic