[PD] performance question: connections versus sends

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 19 13:55:40 CET 2007

Quoting Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:58:31 +0100
> Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>> Andy Farnell hat gesagt: // Andy Farnell wrote:

>> > [r~][s~] are one to one
>
> Thankyou Frank. Remember we talked about problems that happen

i vaguely remember your post about this problem....
i also vaguely remember that i could not reproduce the problem.

> using more than one [r~]. Was that to do with creation order?

one-to-many means that you can use more than one [r~]. i do this often.
it has nothing to do with creation order, the s~/r~ names are
evaluated when you turn on the audio-engine. not at creation time.

> Or is that something that only affects [throw~][catch~] pairs?

neither. the throw~/catch~ names are evaluated when you turn on the
audio-engine. not at creation time.

the only time you can get into trouble is when you are doing dynamic
patching while the audio engine is on (then you can have
evaluation-time == creation-time and you will get a warning if there
is no [send~] or no [catch~] yet)

and if you want to do many-to-many, just use:
[throw~ bla] [throw~ bla] [throw~ bla]

[catch~ bla]

[send~ bla]

[r~ bla] [r~ bla]