[PD] What exactly is a "stack overflow" ?

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 15:22:44 CET 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:23:11 +0100
IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> hi.
> i put this back to the pd-list.
> i guess (and hope) it was only by accident to you answered me in private.
>
> Andy Farnell wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:08:05 +0100

> > None of the above. Behaviour should be normal but if it's instantiated
> > without arguments then bangs are ignored and only positive (I just saw the
> > bug report for negatives) numbers are processed. Any finite number of
> > iterations is the users concern, having bang mean loop infinitely seems
> > wrong.
>
> but a [bang(--[until] is not meant to loop infinitely.
> it loops until a certain condition is reached.

As it stands the behaviour of [until] is correct, but it's a very dangerous
object unlike almost every other Pd object it's the only one beginners can
really screw up with.

An object can tell if it has a connection made to any of its inlets, so
perhaps the safety catch for [until] is not to work unless the condition inlet
is connected? If the condition is never satisfied due to user programming error
that's another thing but a first line of defence would be helpful.

--
Use the source