[PD] Creating auidioengines for games using PD

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 19:24:19 CET 2007

(sory to bottom post Dereks reply, I lost the parent)

Thomas, the thing is not to implement a games engine in Pd, but to implement
Pd in game engines. The former is foolish, trust me :)

I heard that EA have their own build called EApd

I also know that one *very* large company has Pd in R&D for their console
platform.

I am also talking to some development companies and advocating Pd to
some games engine manufacturers for procedural audio.

My mission is more to do with establishing an industry standard language
for proc audio, being dataflow. For many reasons Millers Pd is the correct
choice and almost optimal object set.

The widely held view is that the trick is to implement Pd within the
existing plugin structure of current technologies.

I wouldn't bother trying to hide your work, publish it and join in the
advancement of technology for everyone. Work on getting your client to
take a non-exclusive license or buyout of your work and impress the
value of open source technology on them. Open source is not incompatible
with profitable enterprise.

A better choice for you would be Max if you must follow this road,
but then you'll need to negotiate a license with Cycling74.

best regards,

Andy

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:05:14 +0100
Derek Holzer <derek at umatic.nl> wrote:

> I think the code for making PD patches proprietary is proprietary...
>
> d.
>
> Thomas Jeppesen wrote:
>
> > I'm sure the people I would be working for would hate the Idea. Is there
> > an easy or _normal_ solution to locking a patch so it can't be opened by
> > anybody?
>

> --
> derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista
> ---Oblique Strategy # 138: