[PD] My project at IEM

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 02:59:30 CET 2007

Hi,
I am in a similar situation, working on a thesis project for end of next
semester and was also thinking about doing some GEM related work. the
thing that scared me, is that I would have to fix some things beforehand
to get something like an ogre external to work. and, yes, unfortunately
this was already done for max at my school, so it would look more like a
copy (too easy to do this for Pd...) But actually, I think it is not
easy at all and it would be enough work for a trabajo fin de carrer.
so *my* current idea is to write some (earth) map viewer that can be
integrated into gem.
in any case, dig into openGL, especially hardware shaders. a good set of
shaders will attract a huge number of visual artists.
other ideas for GEM projects:
mobile device controllers for visuals, multiplayer gem mixers, make gem
work as a webbrowser plugin, gem recipe book, multi screen video
synchronisation (avoiding the use of quicktime), gem standalone
screensaver, realtime network distributed render engine for particle
systems and / or a fluid simulator or rigid body simulations
marius.