[PD] What exactly is a "stack overflow" ?

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:37:10 CET 2007

On 12/20/07, Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:43:57 -0600
> "Charles Henry" <czhenry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think a useful feature that would perhaps be able to handle this
> > type of problem is a 'halt'/'continue' routine for message processing.
> >  Say, for example, it could be automatically handled during a stack
> > overflow-clear the stack and send an error message.  Or triggered by
> > the watchdog to catch bang/until problems.  Something like that would
> > give you the opportunity to save/re-load or add additional objects to
> > stop the infinite loop, when not intended.
>

> The subject of the watchdog is really interesting and I'd love to
> hear a deeper discussion on it. But how do you propose to identify
> an infinite loop? At what point does the watchdog say "Hi I'm Clippy
> your Pd Watchdog... did you mean to create an infinite loop?"

It would be best to have a user-controlled method to eliminate the
need for an arbitrary condition.  It might not be possible... hence,
the watchdog could send signals from outside the pd process
or an enable/disable "safe" mode that allows the use of arbitrary
conditions to halt/continue all messages.