[PD] What exactly is a "stack overflow" ?

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:32:23 CET 2007

On 12/20/07, Mike McGonagle <mjmogo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2007 10:41 AM, Russell Bryant <russell at russellbryant.net> wrote:
> >
> > So, after going through my own mental exercise to analyze the situation, I
> now
> > don't think any changes should be made at all.
> >

> I agree with this. This is just one of the few (or more) things you need to
> know about when dealing with PD. It even says it on the help page for
> [until]...
>
> I don't think I want the software to try and second guess what I want, and
> if I construct an [until] that is an infinite loop, then so be it...

The only problem I see with it is a contrast with other programming &
development environments.  If you create a problem in your code, you
shouldn't be able to crash the development environment.  You halt the
process, make changes, and re-compile.
And Pd patching is different from this.  I'd say it warrants some
consideration whether there is a means to allow Pd to make errors
without crashing or becoming unresponsive.