[PD] What exactly is a "stack overflow" ?

Russell Bryant russell at russellbryant.net
Thu Dec 20 21:03:25 CET 2007

Charles Henry wrote:
> The only problem I see with it is a contrast with other programming &
> development environments.  If you create a problem in your code, you
> shouldn't be able to crash the development environment.  You halt the
> process, make changes, and re-compile.
> And Pd patching is different from this.  I'd say it warrants some
> consideration whether there is a means to allow Pd to make errors
> without crashing or becoming unresponsive.

Yeah, this is something that Miller has proposed doing something for in another
section of this thread, and which I mentioned at the very end of my last message.

"If anything, it probably just hints at a potential Pd architecture improvement,
where patch processing should be premptable, so that the GUI can continue to be
responsive, regardless of how the patch is written ..."

That's really the core issue, in my opinion.  If you can still interact with the
GUI, then you can say "oops", and stop the until at any time.

--
Russell Bryant