[PD] What exactly is a "stack overflow" ?

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 22:18:04 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 13:12 -0600, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2007 10:41 AM, Russell Bryant <russell at russellbryant.net>
> wrote:
>         So, after going through my own mental exercise to analyze the
>         situation, I now
>
>         don't think any changes should be made at all.
>

> I agree with this. This is just one of the few (or more) things you
> need to know about when dealing with PD. It even says it on the help
> page for [until]...
>

> I don't think I want the software to try and second guess what I want,
> and if I construct an [until] that is an infinite loop, then so be
> it...

I agree, but it would be nice if there was a distinction between hanging
a patch and hanging Pd. The user should at least have the opportunity to
close the window that contains the infinitely looping [until], and keep
Pd running. However, I don't think this would be possible without some
architectural changes to Pd (like more extensive use of threading).

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk