[PD] What exactly is a "stack overflow" ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 20 22:46:09 CET 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Miller Puckette wrote:

> ... and to wade in, here's an idea I'm toying with:  every 1000 or so
> bangs that until sends out, check the CPU clock. Each time more than a
> second elapses, go check the input buffer from the GUI,

No, it's better to make it wait for the user to start worrying and press
the equivalent of Ctrl+C from the GUI, unless the patch is supposed to run
unattended.

> Another idea:  have a GUI item that interrupts Pd, causing the stack
> frame to be rudely dropped and all clocks to be unset.

Rudely dropping the stack has lots of potential to cause crashes, in
addition to be very unportable (you need one version of it per OS/CPU
pair). If you are interested in that, I have just wrote several mails on
that topic.

> aren'y they both ugly?  but maybe something like this is needed ...

As long as the user using them knows the problems that they are getting
into by using that feature, everything is fine.