[PD] timing question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 21 07:14:13 CET 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Derek Holzer wrote:

> I teach my students that the reason you can't send audio to "message"
> (i.e. non-audio) objects is that "message" objects run slower.

The only ways that they run slower, is that: messages are only applied to
audio between block boundaries; and doing audio processing with [+] takes
a lot more cpu time than with [+~] because block processing takes a lot
less messages to get the same job done. But for the latter, this is why
there is GridFlow and VASP and stuff: they can handle many numbers in
few messages.

> While this may not be "logically" correct to many of the hackers that
> live on this list, it is a convenient way to explain the difference to
> artists just beginning in this world.

I also heard that babies are delivered by storks whenever mommy and daddy
love each other very very much. I'm just beginning in this world so I get
what I deserve.

> Plus I'd like to know what the limits of message processing speed are.
> In "real time", please.

You can know that in realtime by using pd.

Try [realtime].