[PD] Colour in Digital Video

vade doktorp at mac.com
Fri Dec 21 20:27:34 CET 2007

It makes much more sense to see it broken down like so :

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_chroma_sample.html

or http://adamwilt.com/pix-sampling.html and http://adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#colorSampling

These color-spaces use different sampling cadences, and as mentioned
before leverage the fact that eyes are more sensitive to luma changes
that chroma changes. Using different sampling cadences is essentially
a form of compression ( less bandwidth required for a frame), typical
Y cr'cb' or commonly known YUV video is the norm for broadcast
masters, and use what is called 4:2:2 sampling cadence (the
terminology is quite.... lacking), which means for every 4 luma
samples (or every 4 pixels, you have 4 luma samples,) but only 2 color
samples. Note that YUV does not have to have reduced sampling
cadences, 4:4:4 (one luma, one cr' one cb' sampler per pixel) is
perfectly valid, but not very common.

These reduced candences can significantly effect any attempts to do
good chromakeying or color work, why after effects and other
applications that are not strictly editors typically work at 4:4:4
RGB. Anyway, Its definitely an interesting to know, and can
significantly help make footage you are working with look better.

So while yes, it may be boring on the surface, if you plan on making
any ART with video, and it wont be in black and white, its good to
know about ;)

P.S., there was some discussion concerning the difference of human
genetics not being accounted for. The older broadcast formats for NTSC/
PAL and SECAM are not ... final, per se. There are variants of all of
these, and the YUV components can vary quite differently depending on
what version of NTSC/PAL etc you want to use in what nation/geography.
The 609 spec for SD was supposed to fix this (at least for NTSC), and
the new HDTV rec 709 actually is a combination of the various most
used components of PAL and NTSC, so conversion is simpler. So it used
to be more diverse, and complicated, not its simpler but makes more
assumptions.

Anyway, that last part was way off topic.