[PD] Colour in Digital Video

vade doktorp at mac.com
Fri Dec 21 21:17:35 CET 2007

On Dec 21, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>> P.S., there was some discussion concerning the difference of human
>> genetics not being accounted for.
>
> I only mentioned it briefly and so far you're the first one to
> actually exchange about it. (I've always found it weird that the
> word "discussion" is used for something in which there are not
> already two persons exchanging, but quite a few textbooks use it
> like that, so...)

Oh Matju - you are so kind. Sometimes you remind me of Malvin from War
Games - http://youtube.com/watch?v=mNiiBrEHBWA&feature=related

You need a Jim to keep you in line :) (said with love !!)

>> The older broadcast formats for NTSC/PAL and SECAM are not ...
>> final, per se. There are variants of all of these, and the YUV
>> components can vary quite differently depending on what version of
>> NTSC/PAL etc you want to use in what nation/geography.
>
> I don't think that most of the difference is in genetics of whole
> populations. It might be plain statistical error due to the sample
> size or the choice of the sample, or it could be the way to extract
> a typical measure (mean vs median vs mode), or it could be an
> instrumentation error (or just a choice in how it should be done, in
> the case where it's not clear that only one way is not a mistake),
> for example, filtering out high violet by using the wrong kind of
> glass (it happened).

Well, either way, the values are different, and im sure different
methodologies produced the different results, but you cant deny that
quite a large difference in genetic stock was used :) Anyway, was more
of an offhand comment for those who may be reading. Thanks,